Rep. Gowdy Accepting Applications for U.S. Military Service Academy Nominations
Spartanburg, S.C. - Congressman Trey Gowdy (SC-04) released the following statement after announcing his office is accepting applications from students in the Fourth District of South Carolina who are interested in nomination for appointment to the U.S. Military Service Academies.
“Each year, I have the privilege of nominating outstanding young men and women from the Fourth District of South Carolina to our service academies,”Gowdy said. “I commend these students for their dedication and desire to serve our country.”
The honor of attending a service academy comes with an obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation.
Each applicant must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1, 2018:
- Age: Must be at least 17 years old but not have passed the 23rd birthday (25th birthday for the Merchant Marine Academy)
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried and have no dependents
- Residency: Must be a legal resident of South Carolina’s Fourth District
To apply for a nomination through Rep. Gowdy’s office, students must complete the following steps:
- A completed application for nomination
- Three letters of recommendation, including at least one from a high school administrator or teacher
- Official High School/College transcript
- SAT and/or ACT scores (sent directly to Rep. Gowdy’s office using SAT code 4526 and ACT code 7664)
- An essay (no longer than one page, typed) on why you desire to attend a U.S. Service Academy
- A resume of social or athletic activities and notable accomplishments
The deadline for submitting a complete application is October 15, 2018.Only applications including all requested information will be considered. Candidate interviews will be scheduled after the October 15 application deadline.
More information and the application for the class of 2023 can be found here.