Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Congressman Trey Gowdy

Representing the 4th District of South Carolina

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

How can I find out the status of my paperwork with the USCIS?

Entering your receipt number on the USCIS website will provide a general status update as well as an estimate of the time frame for your application. Many of your general questions or concerns regarding applications and standard immigration procedures can be found there. However, you are always welcome to contact my office if you would prefer to actually speak with someone about those questions and concerns. USCIS officials and my office are typically unable to check on any paperwork that is still within the normal processing time. If, however, you have an emergency during this time that involves your USCIS paperwork, please contact my office as soon as possible to see if I can help. My staff is always glad to assist you in any way they can.  

**Because of federal privacy laws, I will need your written permission to help you with your INS paperwork. To speed up this process, you may want to print out my Authorization Form and fax it to my office. 

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

The USCIS website has information on every type of form, addresses for USCIS offices, information on fee changes, and a place to order forms online or through the mail.


The USCIS automated information line is available 24 hours a day. The number is 1-800-767-1833.